Lauri Rapala, Founder of the Rapala-Normark Group
- The correct pronunciation of Rapala is Rap-a-la.
- Sold in over 140 countries around the world
- 26 Rapala VMC distribution companies
- Factories in Finland, France, Ireland, Estonia, and China
- World's leading brand of fishing lures
- Manufacture approx. 20 million lures a year
- Rapala is the only brand to cover multiple fishing tackle categories (lures, rods, reels, knives, tools, etc..)
- More world record fish caught on Rapala Lures
- Rapala is the only company in the world to mass produce fishing lures made of wood (balsa)
- Each Rapala lure with a swimming lip is individually hand-tuned and tank-tested for perfect swimming action
- Each Rapala lure features up to 12 coats of durable paint and epoxy
- 1936 Lauri Rapala makes his first lure out of cork
- 1959 Normark is established and starts distributing Rapala lures in the US
- 1962 Major breakthrough in US when LIFE magazine publishes an article on Rapala
RAPALA VMC South African Distributors (Pty) Ltd. is Africa's officially recognized importer and distributor of world-famous sport & fishing brands including Rapala, VMC, Shimano, Sufix, Storm, Williamson, Double-X, ConofleX, and many more.
The Rapala legacy began in 1936 when a modest fisherman, Lauri Rapala, carved the first Original Floater from a piece of cork using a shoemaker's knife.
More world record fish have been caught with Rapala lures than any other in the world. Any other! That includes a world record on every continent in the world except Antarctica. Rapala holds the world record for world records.
As a company, and as individuals, we value integrity, honesty, openness, personal excellence, constructive self-criticism, continual self-improvement, and mutual respect. We are committed to our customers and partners and have a passion for technology. We take on big challenges, and pride ourselves on seeing them through. We hold ourselves accountable to our customers, shareholders, partners, and employees by honoring our commitments, providing results, and striving for the highest quality.
HistoryHistory of the Rapala Brand
Founded in Honeydew, South Africa, in 1936, Tatlow and Pledger Pty, Ltd., has supplied a vast range of sport & fishing products to the South African market ever since - curados, big fish reels, monofilament nylon lines, gradual drag curves, crankbaits, and lures. Tatlow and Pledger grew reputably over time, distributing its products at competitive prices via numerous dealers, agents, and salesmen.
In February 2006, Tatlow and Pledger Pty Ltd. was acquired by the Rapala VMC Corporation Oyj (Normark), and now operates as an official Rapala subsidiary, responsible for the region of the African continent.